New Mexico, for the unversed, has a “fault” system with regards to car accidents and personal injury claims. This means that the person responsible for the accident must carry coverage that should cover up for the medical bills and losses of those injured. Under the statute of limitations, victims have a period of three years from the date of the accident to file their compensation claim lawsuit. If you are unsure of the state laws in New Mexico, or want to pursue the case more aggressively, you should consider hiring one of the top Albuquerque car accident attorneys.
Circumstances to consider
If your injuries are not severe and you believe that the claim will get you basic compensation to cover medical bills, you don’t really need an attorney. However, you should consider seeking legal help, if
- Your injuries are severe or debilitating.
- Your car has been damaged extensively.
- The insurance company is disputing your claim.
- You have part fault in the accident.
- Your injuries are likely to impact your lifestyle.
Sometimes, the fault in a car accident is not clear, and if you are not smart enough with your claim, the insurance company may just please you with a small settlement amount. When you hire an attorney in Albuquerque, you send out the message that you wouldn’t accept anything that is being offered and don’t mind pursuing the case.
Finding the right car accident attorney
- If you have friends and colleagues in Albuquerque, ask for references. You can also check online for details of top attorneys.
- Check if the car accident attorney has experience of working on cases with similar circumstances as yours.
- Find out the possible outcomes of the lawsuit and true worth of your claim by meeting your attorney in person.
- Ask for client references, if you want to know a law firm better. Independent reviews on Google are also handy.
- Ask the attorney if they are going to seek expertise of medical professionals for your injuries, or if they are using accident reconstruction services.
Your car accident attorney should also handle all the relevant paperwork and procedures that must be followed.